NOTE: Due to the coronavirus outbreak, the SALT program has ended for this school year.
We will look into the possibility of restarting the program in the fall.
Step Ahead Learning and Tutoring, or SALT for short, is a tutoring and mentoring program for 1st and 2nd graders at St. John’s Lutheran Church. It is a FREE program that offers tutoring, homework help, games, devotion and snack.
For the 2019-2020 school year sessions meet on Wednesdays, 3:00-5:00pm beginning September 25. Preregistration is required. SALT is a way to improve your child’s grades and get them involved in something fun and rewarding.
- Parent and student commitment to the program leads to success! Weekly attendance is expected.
- Please let us know if your child will require bus transportation to the program after school.
- Transportation is available from Bonner School via Grisim Bus for one of their tokens.
- If your child will be absent, call the church office at 507-533-4420.
- Parents, it is your responsibility to pick up your child by closing time. Pick your child up promptly at 5pm as other church programs follow SALT.
Sample SALT Schedule:
- 3:00 Students Arrive
- 3:00-3:15 Group Activity
- 3:15-3:25 Healthy Snack
- 3:25-4:45 Homework Help/Tutoring*
- 4:45-5:00 Devotion
- 5:00 Dismissal
NOTE: After completing homework, students participate in learning enrichment centers focused on math, reading, spelling and writing.
SALT Rewards encourage children to work hard and complete their tasks to the best of their abilities.
Group Incentives teach students to work together to achieve a fun goal.
Personal Incentives reward the individual for behavior, respect and attitude while at SALT; as well as academic achievements on school report cards.
We also encourage children to recognize the needs of others and experience the joy of helping.