JOY (Just Older Youth) is a group at St. John’s for people 60 and over.
A few of the purposes of this 60 and Over Group are:
- To recognize older adults as gifts of God to the church.
- To enable and encourage older adults to share their faith, gifts, and talents.
- To provide opportunities for fellowship, recreation, and hobbies.
- To provide educational opportunities to understand and deal with the issues of aging.
Bus Trip and Play
LAST CALL! A bus trip to see the production of Hark the Church Basement Ladies Sing at the Ames Center in Burnsville is set for Saturday, November 2.
The cost is $50 per person for the ticket and bus fare. After the play the group will eat at Pizza Ranch in Apple Valley. Each person will pay for his/her own meal. Information and registration forms are on the table in the narthex. The firm deadline to sign-up is September 20. Only 4 spots/tickets remain! A After September 20 sales will be open to people outside of St. John’s.
S.A.G.E.S (Saints ALive! Growing, Ever Serving)
The Older Adult Ministry Committee of our Minnesota South District publishes a quarterly newsletter called Sagacity. It contains news, announcements, Bible studies and games of particular interest to older adults.
- September 30, 2018 – First gathering – Matt and Denise Tveite, guest speakers shared about their work on a Mercy Ship.
- November 25, 2018 – Fellowship and Bunco
- December 16, 2018 – Christmas Caroling
- January 13, 2019 – Speaker from Minnesota Adult and Teen Challenge
- February 2, 2019 – Bus trip to see the play, Church Basement Ladies: You Smell Barn
- March 17, 2019 – Speaker Rebecca Wagner, an LCMS national missionary through the Synod’s Mission Field: USA
- April 7, 2019 – Gideon, a Lutheran Church Charities Comfort Dog, along with two handlers from St. Michaels Lutheran Church in Bloomington
- August, 18, 2019 – A trip to Gladiolus farm of John & Barb Meyer followed by supper at Perkins South